Unreimbursed Job related expenses


  • Employees often give a little extra in their jobs

If that giving is literal -- you paid some work-related costs and weren't reimbursed -- you may be able to turn your professional dedication into a tax break.

When working out tax on your earnings, any amouth that you have spent on qualifying travelling expenses or other amounts incurred ‘wholly, exclusively and necessarily’ in the performance of the duties of your employment can be deducted. This applies both where:

  • You have paid the expenses yourself without any reimbursement, and
  • Your employer reimbursed the expense and you were taxed on the reimbursed amount.


Accounts Direct has assisted hundreds of people to claim their tax relief for a number of expenses that are a direct result of their jobs. Claiming employment expenses is a complex process therefore please contact us at 03335775332 to discuss with our  specialist team.

  • Vehicle expenses of using your own vehicle for work

You can request tax relief for expenses if you use your own car, van, motorcycle or cycle for business mileage. This is termed as 'mileage allowance payments'

The mileage rates payable for each kind of vehicle are set by law. The rates are

Kind of vehicle Rate Rate
Car or van 45p per mile for the first 10,000 business miles from 6 April 2011 40p per mile for the first 10,000 business miles up to and including 5 April 2011 25p per mile after the first 10,000 business miles
Motorcycle 24p per mile (all business miles)

20p per mile (all business miles)

  • Hotel and meal expense

If you travel in your job or business frequently, then accommodation, meals and business phone calls in hotels may be allowable expenses. If you do not have records of all items you can give estimates.

  • Construction (CIS)

CIS contractors are able to claim relief on any expense which is  incurred in doing the job. These expenses include travel, Mobile phone, work clothes, tools, supplies, subsistence and many others.
Accounts direct will not only prepare your tax return but also make sure that all the legitimate expenses are included in your return to minimize your tax liability while living within the legal framework.

  • Working from home

If you are employed specifically to work at or from home, and have no alternative but to do so, you may be able to get tax relief on some of your household expenses. You can go back several years to get the relief. As a contractor you may be able to claim for electricity, notional rent, telephone bills etc.
You can go back Six years to get the relief.

If you have to work at or from home you can get tax relief for the extra household expenses that you have to pay. Typically these extra expenses include:

  • the extra cost of gas and electricity to heat and light your work area
  • business telephone calls
  • Professional subscription to any professional body, they are registered with.
  • Professional indemnity insurance
  • Some training expenses including books and magazines
  •  Washing and laundering of uniform.
  • Membership fee into a professional body.


Fill in the confidential tax claim back form. With accounts direct you can be rest assured that any information you provide us with will be kept strictly confidential and preserving your privacy is our first priority.

CALL 03335775332 to allow for a FREE discussion

Text REFUND to 03335775332 and we will call you back ASAP.


Next Step:


Please contact us if you need further advice, have any questions about our services, would like a free consultation.

Speak to us today. Call: 03335775332 or Email: info@account-direct.com

Limited company
sole trader
start ups and small businesses
Free guides